2021 Girolamo Russo "Nerina" Etna Bianco, Sicily, Italy
There are 6 units left in stock.
ABOUT THIS WINE
The vines grown in the Etna Bianco DOC are a blend of 70% Carricante with the remaining 30% a blend of Catarratto, Inzolia, Grecanico, Minnella. Farming is certified organic and the grapes used for this particular blend have a varying degrees of age with plantings starting from 1924, 1964 and 2016. The typical harvest time is the first week of October. Maceration and fermentation are controlled by low temperature fermentation in 70% steel and 30% tonneaux with indigenous yeasts. The wine is aged for 6 months in 70% steel and 30% tonneaux, on the lees. Production is at 5,800 bottles annually.
ABOUT THIS PRODUCER
Giuseppe Russo is a quiet thoughtful man, formerly a pianist. Since 2005 he has been organically farming his family's old vineyards, many of the vines around 100 years of age, and he is restoring the old cellar under his house. He has 15 hectares of vines on the North side of Etna around the town of Passopisciaro and sells off the fruit from the youngest vines.
The majority of Russo’s grapes goes toward the making his entry-level Etna Rosso, called a’Rina. While a’Rina is mostly from his younger vines, there is fruit from vines dating back over 100 years included in the blend.
In addition to a’Rina, Giuseppe produces wines from three different crus, San Lorenzo, Feudo and Feudo di Mezzo. Giuseppe will tell you that the more generous examples come from Feudo, a 6 hectare site planted in the 1950’s. From San Lorenzo, 8 hectares planted around 1940, you get a wine with more structure and aging potential. Giuseppe began making wine from his third single vineyard, Feudo di Mezzo, a tiny, 1-hectare, in 2011. The parcel was planted between 1920 and 1940 makes a for a sleek, polished bottling.
In addition to his reds, Russo also makes an Etna Rosato from Nerello Mascalese and an Etna Bianco from Carricante, Catarratto and other local whites.
|Wine Type||White Wine|
|Grape(s)||Carricante, Catarratto, Inzolia, Grecanico, Minnella|